Have you had Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos? They’re so tasty! This is a copycat recipe with crispy fried wonton chips, Italian sausage crumbles, pepperoni, pepper rings, and melted mozzarella cheese served with marinara dipping sauce.
Have you been to Old Chicago and tried their Italian Nachos? They’re so tasty!
We were going to have a get together one night and I thought, “I wish I could make those. It’d be perfect with our lasagna.”
I sought out what would be closest to the “chips” they use. I found wonton wrappers to be the closest!
What ingredients do I need for Italian nachos?
- Wonton Wrappers
- Ground Italian Pork Sausage
- Pepper Rings
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Marinara Dipping Sauce
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
Cut your wonton wrappers in half diagonally to make triangles.
Fry them in oil. They cook in about two minutes on both sides. It can be difficult to tell if they are done and may still look light-colored. After you remove them from the pan, they continue to brown.
Spread the wonton chips evenly on a baking sheet, some overlapping. Begin adding your toppings by layering with Italian sausage, pepperoni, pepper rings, and topping with mozzarella. I put some mozzarella underneath so that it adheres to the chips a little better.
Be sure to serve it with marinara sauce!
Old Chicago Italian Nachos Copycat RecipeCourse: AppetizerCuisine: Italian, American
Old Chicago Italian Nachos Copycat Recipe: Italian nachos with pepper rings, Italian sausage crumbles, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and crispy fried wonton chips served with marinara dipping sauce.
1 Package Wonton Wrappers, cut into triangles
1 lb Ground Italian Pork Sausage
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
Marinara Sauce, for dipping
Vegetable or Canola Oil, for frying
- Cook Italian sausage over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes, and set aside.
- Cut wonton wrappers in half diagonally to make triangles. In another pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, working in batches, add wonton triangles to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on both sides. Remove from pan and lay on paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- On a baking sheet, place a layer of crispy wonton chips. Layer with Italian sausage crumbles, pepperonis, pepper rings, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.