This is an air fryer version of Olive Garden’s Lasagna Fritta that is very tasty! You can also fry them in a pan if you do not have access to an air fryer. Lasagna fritta is fried lasagna with creamy ricotta cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, romano, and asiago cheese spread in between rolled lasagna noodles that are then dipped in batter and fried golden crispy. Serve with marinara and/or alfredo sauce.
I thought it was going to be difficult to make a copycat version of Olive Garden’s lasagna frittas, but it was actually pretty simple!
What are lasagna frittas?
In case you’ve never had them, lasagna frittas are fried lasagna. They are filled with cheese, rolled up, battered, and fried until they are golden and crispy. It’s so delicious!
This version of lasagna fritta is a tad larger than the appetizer version Olive Garden serves. The noodles you buy from the grocery store are just a wee bit bigger, but I guess that means more lasagna fritta, right? Yum!
I decided to do this air fryer style because we don’t need to add more grease on top of a carb-loaded appetizer. Although, frying them in oil is still super, super tasty which is why I give BOTH recipes here!
How to use an air fryer:
It’s actually very simple! Once you have it assembled, there is no preheating required at all!
I always spray my tray with nonstick cooking spray (like Pam) so avoid any sticking. Place the food on the tray, set the temperature, and time and that’s it.
The fabulous thing is that the air fryer is very versatile. You can bake a cake in it, fry fish, get french fries nice and crispy, cook bacon, the ideas are limitless!
Check out my Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan too!
What fries the breadcrumbs in an air fryer?
If you leave the breadcrumbs without ANY type of grease or fat it will leave them very dry.
The nice thing with an air fryer is that you can cut out the majority of the oil and fat and have a healthier version of cooking than if you deep-fried the food.
There are two ways to fry breadcrumbs:
- Spray the breadcrumb coating that is already on your food with cooking spray.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil with your breadcrumbs prior to coating your food with it.
Ingredients for 5 Cheese Lasagna Frittas:
- Lasagna Noodles
- Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Freshly Grated Romano Cheese
- Freshly Grated Asiago Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- A Total of 4 Large Eggs (for the Filling and Batter)
- Finely Grated Parmesan
- Italian Breadcrumbs
- Pam Cooking Spray for the Air Fryer Cooking Version
- Canola Oil for the Pan Fried Version
How to make lasagna fritta:
It all begins by boiling your noodles according to the box directions until al dente. They need to be soft to handle and roll-up.
Unless you can find lasagna without ribbons, it’s best to cut the ribbon edges off. They do not roll well or stay together with the bumpy ribbon edge.
The cheesy mixture needs to be spread evenly on each noodle before you roll them up. These are of course larger than Olive Garden’s lasagna frittas, but you can, of course, cut the noodle down to try to aim for their size of the appetizer.
For the air fryer cooking method, you do NOT need to freeze them. You can immediately start dipping them in the egg wash, and then dip in the breadcrumb/parmesan coating.
How long and what temperature do you cook lasagna fritta in the air fryer?
You still need to add some form of grease to the breadcrumbs, as previously mentioned. I sprayed the outside coating of mine with cooking spray as well as the air fryer tray. Then cooked them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a total of about 16 minutes, flipping halfway.
You can open the air fryer tray and peek in on them to see if they are golden brown.
For the pan-fried cooking method, you WILL need to freeze them. Freezing them for an hour before they are battered with breadcrumbs keeps the cheesy inside within your lasagna noodle. If they get wet in egg mixture the cheese will begin to seep out as you handle them. It’s also important to freeze them before pan-frying because the cheese will immediately come out in the oil as well.
After they are frozen, it is time to batter them. First, dip them in the egg wash, and then dip in the breadcrumb/parmesan cheese coating.
For pan-frying, I put enough oil in the pan to cover the tops of them like a deep fry and heated it over medium-high heat. They stayed at the bottom of the pan and browned against the heating element. I flipped them halfway (2 minutes on each side) for even cooking.
I put a layer of marinara sauce down on my serving platter first, then placed the lasagna frittas on top of the sauce, and drizzled my cheesy homemade alfredo sauce over top. I had extra Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago cheese from the lasagna frittas and put the cheese (about a cup and a half) into the alfredo sauce. It turned out fantastic and I might need to do that every time now!
Air Fryer 5 Cheese Lasagna Fritta (Olive Garden Copycat Recipe)Course: AppetizersCuisine: Italian
This is an air fryer version of Olive Garden’s Lasagna Fritta that is very tasty! You can also fry them in a pan if you do not have access to an air fryer. Fried lasagna with creamy ricotta cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, romano, and asiago cheese spread in between rolled lasagna noodles that are then dipped in batter and fried golden crispy. Serve with marinara and/or alfredo sauce.
10 oz Lasagna Noodles (About 11 noodles)
15 oz Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Freshly Grated Romano Cheese
1/2 cup Freshly Grated Asiago Cheese
1/2 cup Freshly Grated Mozzarella Cheese
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
2 Large Eggs
1 1/2 cups Italian Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Finely Grated Parmesan
2 Large Eggs
- Air Fryer Cooking Method
Pam Cooking Spray
- Pan Fried Cooking Method
Homemade Alfredo Sauce (If you have leftover Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese it is perfect to throw in this recipe. I did and it was really yummy!)
Jar of Marinara Sauce
- Noodle Prep
- Boil lasagna noodles according to package directions until al dente. Once cooked, place in coliander and rinse with cold water for handling. If your lasagna noodles have ribbon edges, trim the ribbons off the sides.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together egg, all five cheeses, and Italian seasoning. Lay lasagna noodles flat and spread cheese mixture over top of the noodles. Roll the noodles into about a 2-3″ length.
If using the pan fried method: Place them in a container lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking together and freeze for 1 hour.
- Scramble egg in a shallow dish and blend the breadcrumbs & finely grated parmesan in another shallow dish. One by one, dip each rolled lasagna in egg, followed by breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
- Air Fryer Cooking Method
- Spray the inside tray of the air fryer and place lasagna frittas on the tray. Spray the top of the lasagna frittas with cooking spray. Set to 400 degrees and cook for about 8 minutes, flip, and cooking for another 6-8 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove and serve with marinara and/or alfredo sauce.
- Pan Fried Cooking Method
- Heat canola oil in a pan at a medium-high temperature. Remove lasagna frittas from freezer and carefully place them in the pan once it is hot. Cook for about 2 minutes, flip, and fry for 2 more minutes until they are golden brown. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with marinara and/or alfredo sauce.