How to cook juicy, tender cut pieces of marinated flank steak in a cast-iron skillet that will taste as if a top chef cooked it for you.
Have you ever wondered how to cook tender pieces of flank steak? This delicious recipe will have you eating restaurant tasting steak.
I really wanted steak and fries and I’ve cooked with flank steak before on the grill. I know how tender it can be if you cut against the grain in thin strips.
What temperature should flank steak be?
Flank steak is really best at a rare (125-130 degrees Fahrenheit) to medium-rare (130-135 degrees Fahrenheit) temperature. If you go to a medium (140-145 degrees Fahrenheit) temperature it begins to get dry and tough.
Ingredients for Cast-Iron Skillet Flank Steak
- Flank Steak
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoned Salt
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
This is the smaller of my two cast-iron skillets. If you have a larger one I am sure you could fit all 4 pieces of steak in at once.
What part of the cow does flank steak come from?
Flank steak comes from the cow’s abdominal muscles and is known to be a tough, but lean cut of beef with a thick grain.
How do you make it tender?
- Marinading flank steak is one of the best ways to tenderize this cut of beef. It helps break down the muscle fibers and collagen.
- Another way to tenderize the beef is by making small cuts in the beef’s fibers before cooking it. In this recipe, I cut 1/8” diagonal slices into the top of the steak, about 1/4” deep.
- How you cut the beef after it cooks is important too. Cutting against the grain and breaking apart the fibers is important. This way, as you take each bite of beef, you are chewing with the grain and it pulls apart easily.
What is flank steak good for?
- Beef Fajitas
- Salpicón, Shredded Beef Mexican Salad
- Carne Asada
- Grilled Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Balsamic Steak Salad
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Beef Jerky
Flank steak side dishes:
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Mushrooms & Onions
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Ultimate Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes